Monday, October 15, 2007

Projects: Interview with your author

Freshman Projects. 1st Quarter: Global Lit.
Author Interview

You are asked to write up a conversation between you and the author of your travel book. This assignment is designed to help you practice writing dialogue. Try to get in you author’s head. How would the author respond to questions/ comments? What would his/her wording be? Don’t just tell me, show me!!
You must write this as a conversation, not a question answer format.

Interview with the author (Due __________) Rubric & Worksheet
Worksheet (Here are some questions to help you get in your author’s head.

1. Describe the author’s personality:
* *
* *

2. Describe the author’s writing style:
* *
* *

3. What body language would this person demonstrate while having a conversation with you?
* *
* *

Rubric
___/5 Conventions are all correct
___/10 Shows and doesn’t simply tell
___/10 Dialogue shows writer’s personality
___/10 Dialogue shows writer’s style

Points will be taken off if the paper is not

• at least one-page (250 words)
• double spaced
• 12 point font
• 1” margins


Here is an example of this:

“You want to try this?”
I glanced at the paper bag he was holding. There were grease stains speckling the bottom making the bag seem like it would disintegrate in seconds. Did I dare? I mean, after all, this was Richard Sterling, the author of The Deep Fried Potato Bug. Who knew what he was chomping down on? It could have been French fries but knowing his gastronomic habits I thought twice.
“Uh…..no thanks. Big lunch,” I replied.
“Your loss,” he said as he turned the bag over and emptied the contents into his mouth. I swear I saw a grasshopper leg. “So what do you want to know about travel writing?”
“Well, I have this class in school where I know I’m growing as a writer everyday, but I thought I should get some tips from a pro….so I called you.” I couldn’t help but blush. I was nervous, this being my first time interviewing a distinguished author and all. We had agreed to meet at Spencer’s Butte to go hiking and talk about his craft. I just hope all this walking wouldn’t inspire whatever he ate to reappear. “What is the secret to slowing down moments?”
“Slowing down moments…..slowing down moments…well…the secret is in the details. Did you notice how in my story, when it got really tense and the French guy was about to eat the bug I took a photo of the scene?”
“Photo?” I shrugged my shoulders. “I’m not quite getting you.”
“Check it out,” he stopped walking, “when I hit the climax of the story, you know, the most intense moment, I let the reader see the Frenchman’s reaction, his wife’s reaction, my reaction, and even stopped to hear and see the bug girl pull out the guts one more time.”

No comments: